FAQs for Town Operations during COVID-19 Crisis
Town of Chelmsford
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Related to COVID-19 Town Operations
Updated June 30, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where can I find the telephone number for a specific Town Department?
You may pay your bill online by visiting https://epay.cityhallsystems.com
You may pay your bill through your banks bill payer service. You must include your bill number(s) on the memo line to ensure your payment is applied properly and not returned to you
You may mail check payment to:
Town of Chelmsford Treasurer/Collector’s Office, 50 Billerica Road, Chelmsford, MA 01824
You may utilize the drop box located outside the Town Hall
As we are looking at the best way to process payments while practice safe social distancing or teleworking, please be patient as we will likely experience delays in processing.
Please submit your request to the Chelmsford Treasurer/Collector John Sousa at jsousa@ChelmsfordMA.gov including your property address. We will provide a report within 10 business days via email. Please check email spam if you don’t receive a response within 10 business days before inquiring again.
Other ways to retrieve your payment history:
Escrow payments – see your mortgage statement
Online payments through City Hall Systems – search your email for receipts provided at time of payment. If you need assistance, please call 978-250-5210
Online payments through bank bill payer - see your bank statements
Check payments – see your check register on bank statements
Cash payments – review your stamped receipts provided at the time of payment
Sign up and create an account at City Hall Systems, add your bill to your account. This will pull in all your payment history.
You may submit your questions via email to Chelmsford Treasurer/Collector John Sousa at jsousa@ChelmsfordMA.gov
We are working on establishing a process that promotes social distancing and teleworking while maintaining acceptable payment turnaround time. The Town Departments will continue to issue payments every week and The School Department will continue to issue payments every two weeks. We do not foresee delays being an issue, at this time. If you experience a problem receiving payment please email your contact within the Town and they will follow up.
You may find your field card, which includes your assessed value by visiting http://gis.vgsi.com/Chelmsfordma/Search.aspx, enter your property address in the search bar and click on search. Your fiscal year 2020 property record information will display.
Will Real Estate inspections still take place?
NO. In keeping with social distancing guidelines, the Assessor’s Office has temporarily suspended inspections. However, in some instances, it may be possible to perform an exterior inspection only. To inquire, please call the Assessor’s Office at 978-250-5220 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can find information about motor vehicle excise tax here: http://chelmsfordma.gov/355/Motor-Vehicle-Excise-Tax
You can find the motor vehicle excise abatement application by visiting http://chelmsfordma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/54/mvabateshort?bidId= and mail the completed application along with all required supporting documentation to Assessor’s Office, 50 Billerica Road, Chelmsford, MA, Chelmsford, MA 01824.
**Please note that applying for an abatement does not stay the collection of excise tax.
All exemption applications are available online by visiting http://ma-chelmsford.civicplus.com/351/Abatement-Exemption-Forms-Guidelines . If you prefer to have an exemption application mailed to you please send an email to email@example.com ; or call 978-250-5220. Please note that all exemption applications are due to the Assessor’s Office by April 1st.
- You may request a copy online at http://www.townofchelmsford.us/forms.aspx?FID=105. If you need assistance please call 978-250-5205. Your certificate will be mailed to you. You will NOT be able to pick up your certificate in person. You may also contact the town clerk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Clerk is currently taking applications for Marriage License. Click here for more information.
- You will find all instructions here. http://www.townofchelmsford.us/249/Dog-Licenses You may search for and renew your existing dog license online at https://permiteyes.us/chelmsford/publichome.php. If you have a new dog to license please submit the application by mail along with a copy of the rabies certificate, a check for $15.00 and a self addressed stamped envelope If you need assistance please call 978-250-5205. Your certificate and dog tag will be mailed to you. You will NOT be able to pick up your certificate or tag in person.
No. The Board of Selectmen voted to reschedule the election to take place on June 2, 2020
You may request a ballot by filling out an application online at https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepdf/absentee/English-Absentee-Ballot-Application.pdf. Please email your signed request to email@example.com. We will in turn mail you a ballot that MUST be returned to the Clerk’s office by the close of polls on Election Day.
No, the Board of Selectmen voted to reschedule the Annual Town Meeting to begin on Monday, June 22, 2020 and continue on Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 7:30 PM.
Please check the due date for the nomination papers. PAPERS MUST BE RECEIVED (NOT POSTMARKED) BY THE DUE DATE/TIME ON THE FORM. Allow time for certification.
- Options for State Candidates with Nomination Papers to be Certified:
- Mail - mail nomination papers if the deadline is not approaching to:
50 Billerica Road
Chelmsford, MA 01824
Please include a pre-stamped and pre-addressed envelope. We advise candidates to use some sort of tracking service if they are mailing their papers so they can ensure timely delivery.
- Drop Box - (at the Main Entrance to Town Hall)
Please put them in an envelope with your contact information including your name, phone number, e-mail address and mailing address.
Library Online Services Available
The Chelmsford Public Library and the MacKay Branch Library remain closed until further notice, but e-books, audiobooks, music, streaming video, and more are available at chelmsfordlibrary.org/econtent.
Chelmsford residents and town employees who do not already have a library card, can now get an e-card on our website!
Please do not return your library materials at this time, we will extend your due dates until we reopen to the public. We are also not accepting book donations at this time.
Need to Reach us?
Staff will provide support as we work from home, but please be patient as response times may not be as quick as normally expected. Please use any of the options below and we will respond as quickly as we are able.
Call us at 978-256-5521
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Use live chat through our website at chelmsfordlibrary.org
or connect with us on Facebook
As the situation changes, we will continue to provide updates as quickly as possible. Be sure to sign up for our Library newsletter to receive updates immediately!
I am selling my house, how do I schedule an inspection from the Fire Department for my smoke and carbon monoxide alarms?
- Please call the Fire Prevention Office business line at (978)251-4288. On March 20, 2020, Governor Baker issued an executive order that stated the initial inspection for the sale of a home under MGL Ch. 148, Secs. 26F and 26F ½ would not be required to pass papers, this inspection will still be required within 90 days of the lifting of Governor Baker’s state of emergency. https://www.townofchelmsford.us/DocumentCenter/View/10876/Gov-Baker-Smoke-detector-order-3-20-2020
The order states that
Such inspection MAY only be deferred, however, provided that
The Parties to the sale or transfer have agreed in writing that the buyer, not the seller, shall be responsible for equipping the dwelling, building, or structure with approved smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms;
The buyer agrees as a condition of taking title to equip the dwelling, building, or structure with approved smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms immediately upon taking title according to the provisions of 527 CMR 1.00, Chapter 13; an
Any inspection that would otherwise be required by Sections 26F and 26F1/2 of Chapter 148 of the General Laws is conducted no more than 90 days after the state of emergency is terminated; and provided further that the head of the fire department for the municipality in which the dwelling, building, or structure is located shall ensure that such inspection is conducted within the required period pursuant to the authority granted by Sections 26E, 26F, and 26F ½ of Chapter 148.
I need my commercial or residential building plans reviewed, how do I schedule a review or obtain a permit from the Fire Department?
- Please call the Fire Prevention Office business line at (978)251-4288. The office is open from 8:00 am to 4pm and commercial and residential building plans can be submitted thru the Town of Chelmsford’s permit site at https://permiteyes.us/chelmsford/loginuser.php
For emergencies, please call 911.
To report a crime online, please go to: http://chelmsfordma.gov/804/Report-a-Crime-On-Line
Please call the business line at the police department (978-256-2521).
Requests for reports can be made to the public records portal or by contacting Records Clerk Katie Bennett at kbennett@ChelmsfordMA.gov.
- For accident reports go to: http://www.crashdocs.org/
The main page of the Town of Chelmsford website has a link for See Click Fix. Please include as much detail as possible.
Contact the DPW – contact information listed below:
- Highway/Facilities – Lynn McDonough
- email@example.com 978-250-5270
- Trash/Recycling – Melissa Joyce
- firstname.lastname@example.org 978-250-5203
- Sewer – Sharon Boyer
- email@example.com 978-250-5233
- Engineering – Christina Papadopoulos
- firstname.lastname@example.org 978-250-5228 x 6701
- Stormwater – Courtney Thompson
- email@example.com 978-250-5228 x 5235
- All other questions: Cathy McArthur
- firstname.lastname@example.org 978-250-5228 x 6700
Road Opening and Trench permits – email: email@example.com
Sewer Permits – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is a mailbox outside the building at 9 Alpha Road.
- For packages, please leave inside the blue bin at 9 Alpha Road.
- Please call the main line at the DPW 978-250-5228. Choose the appropriate option.
The Public Works page of the Town of Chelmsford website has general information as well as employee phone numbers and emails.
If you need assistance call Melissa Joyce, Sustainability Manager at 978-250-5203.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 crisis Pink Bag textile recycling and Bulk Waste pickup will be suspended until further notice.
EXTERIOR and NEW CONSTRUCTION INSPECTIONS WILL BE CARRIED OUT AS USUAL. However, in light of the COVlD-19 situation, to protect the inspectors and homeowners, and to enable us to follow the guidelines for social distancing, we are instituting a new instruction protocol, which can be found here: https://www.townofchelmsford.us/DocumentCenter/View/10880/Building-Protocol.
How do I Contact the Health Department?
Jen Melanson is the Community Services Coordinator. She can be reached via phone at 978-770-7687 or by email at email@example.com
What services does the Community Services Coordinator provide?
- Jen is available to assist residents in the following areas:
- Food resources
- Housing information
- School resources
- Mental Health services
- Addiction services
- Legal resources
- Health insurance
- Fuel assistance
Is Chelmsford Community Services on social media?
- Yes! Please follow Jen on Facebook at www.facebook.com/chelmsfordcommunityservices for information and resources. You can also visit the Community Services Department page on the Town of Chelmsford website at https://www.townofchelmsford.us/723/Community-Services
OTHER COMMUNITY RESOURCES:
- TABLE OF PLENTY
Table of Plenty has a weekly Grab and Go meal at the Chelmsford Senior Center. between 5:00pm and 6:00pm on Tuesdays. Anyone in need of a meal may participate in this free program. Food will be provided curbside – vehicles should enter the main driveway and line up at the front of the Senior Center for service.
- CHELMSFORD FOOD PANTRY
The Chelmsford Community Exchange is ready to assist residents in need of supplemental foods. The Food Pantry is located behind the Town Offices (50 Billerica Rd) adjacent to the ball fields. Their hours of operation are Wednesday: 5pm – 8pm; Thursday: 2pm-4pm; Friday: 6:30pm-8pm, with Saturday hours through April 18, 2020 from 12pm TO 1:30pm.
- COMMUNITY TEAMWORK
Resource Center/General Emergency Referrals, call 978-654-5607 or email CovidResponseCTI@commteam.org
- Is the Senior Center open? No. The Center is closed to the public; however, it is staffed Monday through Friday to answer questions and provide assistance. If no one is able to take your call, please leave a message, and a staff member will call you back as soon as possible.
- Can I get Meals on Wheels? We are sending out meals on wheels to homebound seniors each weekday. If you, or someone you know may be in need, please call 978-251-0533, and ask for Elena Dear. The meals on wheels team have a strict protocols and social distancing guidelines to keep everyone safe.
- Can I still get Transportation? Transportation Services are available for medical, food, and other essential services, please call 978-251-0533.
- Can I still get medical equipment from the senior center? We have a limited amount of equipment to offer, please call us, and we can arrange a drop off/pick up. At this time, in or der to reduce the risk of exposure, we are not accepting donations of medical equipment.
- How do I know that the census is safe to fill out online? All residents will be receiving a card in the mail from the Census, with a personal ID number and information on how to fill out the Census To be counted, self-respond online at 2020Census.gov, over the phone 844-330-2020, or by paper questionnaire and make sure our community receives the funds we need to sustain our programs. Please call the Senior Center 978-251-0533 if you have any questions.
- Can I still get my taxes done at the Senior Center? The tax deadline has been moved to July 15. All AARP tax appointments at the Chelmsford Senior Center are suspended until further notice.
- TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF:
- Take care of your emotional health and help others do the same. If you need emotional support during these stressful times, call 2-1-1 and choose the “CALL2TALK” option.
- Call the Samaritans. During this unprecedented time, it can feel overwhelming to receive constant messages about COVID-19. Call or text their free, confidential 24/7 helpline at 877-870-4673.
- BE ESPECIALLY AWARE OF SCAMS: Do not provide any personal information over the phone. The government will NOT be calling to request any bank account, social security or other information.
- MEDICARE QUESTIONS? Call the SHINE Program at Elder Services of the Merrimack Valley and North Shore 978-946-1374. Please leave a voice mail with your name, city/town and daytime phone number and they will return your call.
- What is available if I need groceries? At this time, we are suggesting that residents have their groceries delivered by local stores to reduce risk of exposure.
Grocery Delivery Services for Chelmsford Area
Market Basket – Instacart
Stop & Shop – Peapod
Walmart – Delivery Unlimited
Costco – CostcoGrocery
Phone: 1-800-955-2292(Members only)
Target – Grocery
Whole Foods – Grocery Delivery
If these options pose a hardship for you, please call us at 978-251-0533 and ask for Elena Dear.
Pharmacy Delivery Services for Chelmsford Area
Remedium Pharmacy phone: 978-251-7070
If you need assistance with an issue not listed on this document contact the Town Manager’s Office at 978-250-5202 or email either Kristina Bruce at KBruce@ChelmsfordMA.gov or Michael McCall at MMcCall@ChelmsfordMA.gov.